Thursday, October 11, 2007

Promises, promises...



Wow. I'm big in this picture. (and thanks to Jason Conaway, felt up as well...)

Since this time I have been making sure I eat a little better at times, without ever really making a concerted effort on all fronts to do so, hence failure.

Along rolls all of the summer months...

Avoiding the pool...

Trying to find larger t-shirts to wear to softball games...

And finally, along comes a vacation in September.

During part of my vacation, I made sure I went to the SJA Homecoming!! For those of you who don't know, it's pretty cool. It's not the best party in the world, especially when you aren't as interested in getting stinking drunk in public anymore. But, I get to see lots of people I used to know, play some fair games, eat some fair food, and even play a little Bingo.

During the fair, my cousins brought up to my immediate family that some of them were going to begin a contest. A weight loss contest. Whoever loses the most after a certain period of time wins a pool of money that everyone puts together. Everyone in my family seemed interested, myself especially. I knew it was time to buckle down.

So here I am at the computer trying to decide the best way to continue my current weight loss success. I had to have lost some weight since that picture in March, but not a ton. I have lost (I personally believe) at least twenty pounds since the beginning of September. I have lost a confirmed 15 lbs since 9/12/07.



I haven't hit a wall or anything like that, but I want to do everything I reasonably can to change my lifestyle and habits in regards to food.

Many publications and websites suggest may different diet fads, exercise tips, and non-traditional methods to lose weight. Personally, I have my own plan. Nothing new, or untried I'm sure, but one that I think will work for me.

1) Count calories
2) Work Out
3) Stay Busy

1) Count Calories

According to a lot of the research I have been doing, the sure fire way to lose weight: Burn more than you eat. Doable! But how many am I supposed to eat? Ahh, there is where some differentiating opinions lie. I am using a website called my-calorie-counter.com to determine that starting point. It's a free site, too!

They say for my height (6'6") and current weight (as of 10/11/07, 325ish) and a sedentary lifestyle, to take in 3477 calories a day to maintain my weight. They also say 3500 calories is equal to a pound. So, if I cut 500 calories a day, that would be a pound a week. 1000 cals, 2 lbs, etc. Ahh, but that is for a sedentary lifestyle. For a moderately active lifestyle, 4497 calories a day.

I currently treadmill 3-5 times a week, and do Free motion weights 3 times a week (at best, trying to get more regular!) I also work in a job where I am on the go for quite a bit of the day. I stock, lift heavy objects, and walk a ton throughout my day at work. So I'd say a moderately active lifestyle is at least where I'm at if not better.

So, conclusion? If I maintain my moderately active lifestyle and cut 2000 calories a day, I can still eat 2497 calories a day and lose up to 4 lbs a week. That's doable. That's measurable. And that's what I like, a doable, measurable achievement.

2) Work out

I treadmill about 40 minutes each time I go, burning about 600-650 calories each time. I have reached inclines of 9 with speeds of 3.6. I'm aware that isn't very fast, it still isn't a run. But, I am starting out with something I know I can keep up with. Besides, my knees can't take running on a treadmill yet. I gotta start somewhere.

I free motion about 10 different machines. Squat, chest, row, quad, lat, shoulder, hamstring, bicep, triceps, and abdominal. I worked out at Gold's Gym for a while back before Mike & Tracy's wedding, and the instructor there started me out with these machines as a circuit training of sorts for losing weight. I am going to stick with those for now because, I gotta start somewhere.

3) Stay Busy

Work, possibly taking classes again soon, blossoming relationship, and a new nephew are doing a pretty good job of keeping me busy. Add in trying to change careers in the near future, moving again in August, and trying to keep up with tons of friends who have now moved all over the globe keeps me pretty busy. Forget golf and reading. Those have taken a bit of a back seat lately, and I will welcome them back when the time is there. I tend to eat or drink too much when I am doing those activities. So, that's why I am back to blogging. Many publications suggest keeping a workout/diet log, so this is going to partially be mine. Also I'd love to get back to expressing my views are various topics. Especially with the primaries coming up soon!

I know, I know, I've said I was going to be back to blogging a couple of other times, but, this promise, like the one I've made to myself about the weight loss, I intend to keep.

'Not quite as big' Big Dave

No comments: