Monday, October 22, 2007

Pick of the Week!

Sarcastic Dialectician For Hire.

Everyone knows I'm pretty sarcastic at times...

The 'Dialectic' part though, I'm sure most people would call me, if they knew what it meant. I'm not questioning any ones intelligence here or anything! I swear. I'm the last person to poke fun for not knowing what words mean. (Or how to pronounce them...who knew cacophony wasn't pronounced cak-o-fone-ee)

Dialectic - the art or practice of arriving at the truth by the exchange of logical arguments.

I'm amazed at how well I believe this word fits me. I enjoy using logic in an exchange of arguments to arrive at the truth. I also think a dialectic conversation is a great way to fully understand another person's views on given subjects.

I've also learned, within the fairly recent past, that this method of reaching understanding between two people can't always work. In fact, unless it's with another Dialectician, it almost never works. I've wondered why in the past, some of the people I argue with, I become better friends with, and some, worse friends. I think I've realized now that some people argue/discuss to reach the truth. Some to be heard, some to be understood, some to get things off of their chest. I think, now that I have learned this, I can become better friends with everyone I argue/discuss with by figuring out what their desire is behind the argument, not just the point they are arguing/discussing.

The funny thing is, I only found the word dialectic while looking for a word to rhyme with eclectic. Strange, eh? Finding one word that describes me by trying to rhyme with another word that fits me like a glove. Hence the web address for this blog: dialecticeclectic.blogspot.com. Describes me well, except for the blogspot.com part. There was only so much I could do there. I could probably B.S. something to make that describe me, too ,but I'm not feeling that creative right now.

And now, the segue into...

The Pick of The Week!!

Wyclef Jean - The Ecleftic

I was flipping through the Starz channels, looking for things I wanted to Tivo, and I came across ' Wyclef Jean's All-Star Jam @ Carnegie Hall ' on Starz-Black. This concert for charity (music education for inner city youth) included artists like Eric Clapton (yeah!), Stevie Wonder (sweet!), Destiny's Child (eh), Charlotte Church (strange), Mary J Blige (awesome), one of Marley's boys (good), and a bunch of teens called Clef's kids who play exceptional music for their age. They only showed about an hour of the show on the TV, but there is a DVD that has the whole thing (Xmas present??)

Now, I've had a CD called Wyclef Jean - The Ecleftic for a couple of years now, and it is awesome. I'm not sure which came first, the concert or the cd, but the have some songs in common. Good songs:

Wish You Were Here (pink Floyd cover)
911 (with Mary J Blige)

There are also a few that are older Clef songs (remakes, I know) that I like a lot:

Guantanamera
No Woman, No Cry
Gone Til November
Maria, Maria

And new remakes/collaborations:

Summertime w/Charlotte Church
Stayin Alive w/Rock Steady Crew
Now That We Found Love w/Third World
Wonderful Tonight w/Eric Clapton

And a new song he and Clapton wrote, called 'My Song'

And a few songs done by the Clef Kids:

Amazing Grace
Bach Medley
Lift Every Heart & Sing

The only bad part is that, for some reason, they had Destiny's Child doing Independent Woman & Say My Name. That was strange.

So, check them out. Either the Wycleftic CD, or the All-Stars DVD. They are awesome!

No comments: