Monday, October 15, 2007

Counting My Blessings

As I'm on my way out the door to go join the old folks at the ARC, I figured I'd count a few of my blessings, as far as this current weight shift is concerned.

1) Support structure at home

JoVanna has been a huge help to me. She enjoys cooking, and now the two of us can work together to make meals that are tasty, healthy, and more importantly, made for two in the first place! As far as meats go, I can only cook hot dogs & fish. That's it. Now I can have chicken, beef, pork, turkey, it's awesome! Wow, variety in foods!

2) Support structure outside the home

The family has been a huge help, all talking to each other to remind each other about the goal. Its like having some people to whom I am responsible towards. I have also let most everyone know at work. That way, I have some help there whenever I get a craving for one of the many things I walk by on a given day at the grocery store. I must say, if you are ever trying to seriously lose weight, try not to work at a grocery store. While, I admit, I have better access to fresh produce and meats and lots of other items that are good for you, I also have Swiss Cake Rolls staring me in the face everyday. Why is that the one thing I look at and think, Damn, those look good. Of everything I could have huge cravings for, that's the one thing. How weird.

3) Liking a wider variety of foods.

The only veggies I used to like were carrots and peas. Now it carrots, peas, corn, asparagus, green beans, snopeas, lima beans, lettuce, and even sprouts are ok. I used to only like hot dogs and McDonald's hamburgers. Now I'll eat fish, steak, ham, polish sausage, chicken, turkey, etc. I unfortunately still can't fathom a way to get into diet sodas. But, I have cut those down to one a day at most. 1-12 ounce can that is. Not some giant liter bottle.

4) Having a workout facility so close to home.

The Columbia ARC (Activities & Recreation Center) is a godsend. I don't have to worry about traffic on campus or downtown. I have no trouble finding a machine ever. I think it has a lot to do with my unbalanced schedule, though. Being able to go work out at 10am some days, 6:30pm others, and 2pm still others helps a lot. Avoids the big 7am and 5pm rushes!

5) Staying away from alcohol

YIKES. I know. It's tough. REALLY TOUGH. How does one walk away from the nectar of the gods, good beer. I've done some research, and not only is alcohol usually calorie laden (at least my good beers, Blue Moon 170cal, most dark beers 150-200cal), but it disrupts the body's ability to burn fat. They say the safe amount of alcohol in a week considering my size, age, and gender is ten a week, 2 a day with 2 off days. No banking the alcohol for the end of the week though. So I could have a couple of beers a day, but, its best to stay away from the calorie laden drinks. Siiigggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

6) The knowledge I've done it before, so i can do it again

Freshman year of college, instead of gaining the dreaded Freshman Fifteen, I lost 30! My activity level just soared when I moved up here to Columbia. I dropped all the way to 230 lbs that year. My junior year, I had made a New Year's resolution, and was sticking to it quite well until I broke my hand. Lost 25 lbs from New Year's to mid march. For Mike & Tracy's wedding I lost about 15-20 lbs just increasing activity and trying the psycho diet. That psycho diet sucked. Sucked hard. Can you imagine a diet making you hate one of your favorite foods? Eggs. I love eggs. I hated eggs on that diet.

Well, like I said, off to beat an old man off of my treadmill.

No comments: