Wednesday, June 14, 2006

What was with the long books?

Ever have those days where, a week ago, you thought you had nothing going on. Then all of the sudden, there's about eighty thousand things to do?

Sometimes, as the 8th collection of Calvin & Hobbes says, The Days Are Just Packed.

I think that's a big key in a day off or a vacation. It may seem like you have nothing to do, but all of the sudden all those ugly responsibilities rear their heads.

AAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

So much for those plans of sleeping til noon. Sitting at the computer til 2. Reading til 4. Debating about getting dressed at 5ish. Cardinals watching at 7. Maybe hitting the bar for a drink at 10.

Instead it ends up being more like out of bed by 8 for no reason other than you just woke up. Weighing in for the week by 9. Getting an email that causes you to remember that you need to send about ten of them to others by 10. Dry cleaning by 11. Shoe shopping (not fun when you are desperately searching for size 15 slip on dress shoes for over two months!) by 12. Dropping off a large check for stuff you won't see until August at your soon to be new landlord's by 1. Head home and remember you forgot to hit the bread store, the post office, and the cable company by 2, oh wait, forgot the car wash, make that 3. Finally make it home and start a couple of loads of laundry and sit down for a well deserved break and write a blog....

- The Days Are Just Packed

- I regret I wasn't born with opposable toes.
- Nobody likes my great ideas in action.
- Of all the luck, my parents had to be humans.
- Self esteem is enhanced by remaining an ignoramus.
- The secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they're already met.
- I'm related to people I don't relate to.
- The whole problem with modern times is that there's no pride in craftsmanship.
- It's a crass culture. Shoddy and quick is all anybody knows.
- (Some of my)...discussions never go where they're supposed to.
- Childhood is so disillusioning.
- I'm not dumb, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- I think my excuses need to be less extemporaneous.
- Oh, those mischievous planets.
- It's not good to thwart the intentions of the universe!
- I suppose if we couldn't laugh at things that don't make sense, we couldn't react to a lot of life....(calvin)...I can't tell if that's funny or really scary.
- An orifice is an amusing thing.
- It's a lot more fun to blame things than to fix them.
- You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood. Last minute panic.
- All this modern technology just makes people try to do everything at once.
- People just don't know a great idea when they hear one.
- That's the whole problem with science. You've got a whole bunch of empiricists trying to describe things of unimaginable wonder.
- When you look into infinity, you realize there are more important things than what people do today.
- Somehow whenever I ask a question, I end up with a lot of them to answer.
- There's nothing worse than an inscrutable omen.
- Science kind of takes the fun out of the portent business.
- Childhood is for spoiling adulthood.
- It's great to have a friend who appreciates an earnest discussion of ideas.
- Whed you're oder, you dake your sinuses fo granded.
- I say, if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.
- Why does the universe always give you the sign after you do it?
- Halcyonity is relative.
- A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction into a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.
- My penitent sinner shtick needs work.
- Endorsing products is the American way of expressing individuality.
- Calvin's 'Serenity' Prayer
The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference.
- I hate it when I can't gird my loins with funny animals.
- When you think how well basic appliances work, it's hard to believe anyone ever gets on an airplane.
- I'm a simple man with complex tastes.
- The truth will set your teeth free.
- Everybody I know fails the acid test of friendship.
- Denial springs eternal.
- Nobody respects my denial.
- It's not denial, I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.
- Good poetry gives me goosebumps.
- Some things don't need the thought people give them.
- My brain wishes my ego had call-waiting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

god, I love calvin and hobbes...you've just inspired me to go hunt up a book or two...!