Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The End of an Era

When I heard Mr Watterson was going to discontinue writing the Calvin & Hobbes comic, I was broken hearted. Literally. I was terribly upset and was angry, too. That was when I got the Tenth Anniversary Book. It had a bunch of comics already included in the other collections, but also had his commentary with it. Reading this commentary and researching the struggles between he and the conglomerates brought me some understanding, and peace.

I suggest you read the Tenth Anniversary book if you haven't. You might learn some things. Free Wrinkles people!

His final book, It's A Magical World, says goodbye to his creation in a beautiful, thoughtful, and comical way...

It's A Magical World

- The secret to enjoying your job is to have a hobby that is even worse.
- It's pretty hard to hit that magic number of appropriately vague, mildly serious, but not quite worrisome symptoms.
- The universe just goes on forever and ever!...(hobbes)...It kind of makes you wonder why man considers himself such a big screaming deal.
- If your numbers go up, it means you're having more fun.
- Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless.
- Grown-ups can only justify playing outside by calling it exercise, doing it when they'd rather not, and keeping records to quantify their performance.
- A big part of life is boring routine. I need more excitement.
- Of course, a big part of life is horrifying surprise, routines can be comforting.
- Some days, even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.
- It's hard to be mad at someone who misses you while you're asleep.
- I'd hate to think that all my current experiences will someday become stories with no point.
- Waste AND want, that's my motto.
- It's comforting to know that there are certainties in life.
- Life is full of precluded possibilities.
- When your ailments sound cute, you don't get much sympathy.
- If people could put rainbows in zoos, they'd do it.
- It's not summer if your tongue isn't purple.
- Everyone knows it's not entertainment unless you can sit in the dark and eat.
- Enmity sells.
- If nobody makes you learn, it counts as fun.
- How can something seem so plausible at the time and so idiotic in retrospect.
- People always assume you're some kind of altruist.
- What if nothing means anything? What if nothing really matters? Or suppose everything matters. Which would be worse?
- When you're actually confronted with the stillness of nature, it's kind of startling.
- It's a cruel season that makes you get ready for bed while it's light out.
- I pragmatically turn my whims into principles.
- Summer is butter on your chin and corn mush between every tooth.
- I love messing with data.
- There would be more civility in this world if people didn't take it as an invitation to walk on you.
- It's not an 'attitude', it's a fact.
- Never put the low priorities first.
- In humor, timing is everything.
- To make a bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible.
- The world isn't so bad if you can just get out in it.
- When life gives you a lemon, wing it right back and at some lemons of your own.
- I like to have everything so good, I can take it all for granted.
- Life is too inconvenient.
- I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Madison Avenue and Hollywood, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak. Am I scary or what?
- I gotta get my life some writers.
- My life could stand a lot more pizazz.
- Nobody recognizes my hints to smother me with affection.
- I really hate having things put in perspective.
- We need to start putting prices on the priceless.
- Weirdness always starts at home.
- The problem with new experiences is that they're rarely the ones you choose.
- Earthly rewards make consumerism a popular religion.
- What good is originality if you can't crank it out?
- It's hard to feel courageous in loose fitting drowsy bear jammies.
- It's a magical world, let's go exploring.

1 comment:

tnc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.