Sunday, June 25, 2006

Be Patient, It's Almost Over

My Calvin & Hobbes blogs have met with quite a bit of criticism, and a little enjoyment. Well, so long as someone is getting some enjoyment out of them, I say...

On With The Show!!

It's my world, and even I'm scared to be living in it half the time. It's all about what you make of your world, and that is Calvin to a 'T'.

This comic is all about his world, and everyone else is just living in it. His parents don't have names because kids don't see their parents as named individuals. They are dad and mom, period.

Today, I thought of another strange correlation between Calvin and I. Some people at work got to talking about cartoons from when we were younger. I remember being a big fan of Thundercats. It wasn't my favorite, but I watched it for sure. One of my most vivid memories of my own crazy imagination is from taking long drives. Of course a long drive is a relative term at that age. I used to think Faust Park in Chesterfield was lightyears away from our house in South City. The trips to Grandma & Grandpa's in Union, what we called, 'The Country'? That was nearly unbearable for me. So I put my imagination to work. I used to imagine Cheetarah from Thundercats, running alongside the car! She was just doing crazy flips and weaving through traffic, and running over cars, going from one side to the other. My folks probably thought I was a bit out of it, just staring at asphalt....

Mom : ~siiiighhh~ He's doing it again...

Dad : What?

Mom : Staring out the window, jaw agape, eyes darting back and forth.

Dad : Oh yeah, that again. Those child psychology books aren't worth a thing.

Mom : He's your son. (to me) David?

Me : hmmm

Mom : Want a butterscotch?

Me : hmmm

That first part is all guesswork, but I remember Cheetarah and butterscotch discs like they were yesterday.

mmm butterscotch.......

See? I had my feline, and Calvin has his.


There's Treasure Everywhere

- I don't think you should have to do something unless you're enthusiastic about it.
- I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius...nobody thinks I'm a genius.
- Anymore, simply acknowledging the issue is a moral victory.
- You should always save hyperbole until you really need it.
- Once it's too late, you appreciate what a miracle life is. You realize that nature is ruthless and our existence is very fragile, temporary, and precious. But to go on with daily affairs, you can't really think about that...which is probably why everyone takes the world for granted and why we act so thoughtlessly. It's very confusing. I suppose it will all make sense when we grow up.
- If I'm going to get clobbered, I like to deserve it.
- Sometimes I think books are the only friends worth having.
- Love the sinner, hate the sin.
- I'M SIGNIFICANT! Screamed the dust speck.
- God must have a goofy sense of humor.
- I need to stop thinking while I'm ahead.
- Nobody takes responsibility for his actions anymore.
- If your friends are contractual, you don't have any.
- My whole problem is my lips move when I think.
- They say the world is a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines...(hobbes)...Maybe that's why it's hard to tell if we're in a tragedy or a farce.
- Nothing in life is ever easy.
- As usual, goodness hardly puts up a fight.
- I can't wait until I'm old enough to 'putter around'.
- Virtue needs some cheaper thrills.
- When in doubt, deny all terms and definitions.
- The more indecisive I am, the faster things get decided.
- A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
- It's our patriotic duty to buy distractions from a simple life.
- I don't care about being accepted, I'd settle for being ignored.
- I though I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hangar.
- Great experiences are even better when they are shared.
- I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.
- When you're great, people often mistake candor for bragging.
- I love loopholes.
- Why should I have to work for everything? That's like saying I don't deserve it.
- My brain always rejects attitude transplants.
- Sometimes life seems unbearably tragic.
- I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul.
- I wonder why we think faster than we can speak...(hobbes)...Probably so we can think twice.
- Your denial of my victimhood is lowering my self-esteem.
- Let's hope bumbling along without a clue is important.

No comments: