Saturday, April 22, 2006

Personality

A few days ago I was talking with Amy and found out an old friend of ours from freshman year of college has a baby! This news excited me! Explanation time....

When you were in Elementary school, what did you do when you went home after school?

Maybe sit right down and do your homework? Hahahaha, ah ha, ha, hoo.....sorry, let me wipe away the tears there....ahhh

Watch a little TV? Animaniacs? Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? Jeopardy (I'm a dork, this has already been established.)

Play outside? A little Hop-Box, Jail break, Toccer, or snow fort building?

We did all that, but what most sticks out in my mind is playing with babies.

Of course there was my little sister who came around when I turned 5. Or the various cousins that my mother watched. Aaron, and Jason, and Lauren I remember at our house as babies a lot. But, our mother from time to time while we were growing up watched a few of the neighborhood babies while their mother's were at work. There are two specific ones I remember the most. I would have been about....10 or maybe a little older when she started watching them. They were adorable. Lauren and Margaret. They weren't sisters, and they were rarely at the house on the same days, but when they were, watch out, we had good times. Or on snow days, when we wouldn't go to school, but the adults still had to go to work. Full baby day!

These days probably assisted my becoming an absolute fool for babies, but i think it may be genetic as well. My folks are gonzo over babies all the time. Our grandparents were likewise. Most of our aunts and uncles, too. Now I know that lots of people go gaga for babies, but I think the trend in our family is slightly high. Or maybe I think so because of how much of a difference there can be between someone's usual demeanor and attitude, and those traits around a baby.

Long story short, too late I know, I like babies a lot.

So I wanted to see a picture of Michele's baby. To do this I joined MySpace. Scary at the best of times joining one of these sites. Who knows what friends from the past can come out of the woodwork on one of these sites. But I joined, caught up with a few people, and saw some baby pictures! Life is good.

But then I was reminded of a few other sites like that that I used to be a part of and I looked them up. I found one site that has all kinds of tests and keeps record of your scores on these tests.

I love tests. Standardized? Great. Math? Perfect. I even see trivia games like a test. I tend to only be competitive when it comes to my brain. Some might say overly competitive. I'll take that as a character flaw though. As they go, I don't see it as so bad.

Some of the tests on these sites include personality tests. The main one gives me 'The Boy Next Door' moniker. I'm comfortable with this. At least it isn't The Teddy Bear....

THE BOY NEXT DOOR

Kind, yearning, playful, you are The Boy Next Door. You're looking for real Love, a lot like girls do. It might not be manly, but it's sweet.

We think the next three years will be very exciting and fruitful ones for you. Your spontaneous, creative side makes you a charming date, and we think you have a horny side just waiting to shine. Or glisten, rather. You enter new relationships unusually hopeful, and the first moments are especially glorious. If you've had some things not work out before, so what.

On paper, most girls would name the Boy Next Door as their ideal mate. In the real world, however, you're often passed over for more dangerous or masculine men. You're the typical "nice guy:" without just a touch of cockiness, you're doomed with girls. A shoulder to cry on? Okay, sure. But never a penis to hold.

More than any other type, Boys Next Door evolve as they get older. As we said, many find true love, but some fail miserably in the search. These tarnished few grow up to be The Men Next Door, who are creepy as hell, offering backrubs to kids and what not.
THE END

Mostly true, I don't deny it. Except for the man next door part, ewww.

But elsewhere on this site, put together by some other third party was another personality test, which of course I took. Overkill is also a character flaw of mine, so sue me.

THE ARCHITECT
You are more introverted than extroverted. You are more intuitive than observant, you are more thinking based than feeling based, and you prefer to go with the flow rather than have a routine. The single word to describe your type is the Architect, which belongs to the larger group of rationals. You wish to sculpt the world around you. Others often find you arrogant, yet you have no desire to direct others, only to inform them. You must know the structure of things, and have a voracious appetite for knowledge. You are very rational in everything you do, and probably consider yourself smarter than most.
As a romantic partner, you can be playful with great energy to get things started, but not quite as good on follow through. You may have a tendency to hurt the more emotional types unintentionally by not sharing your own reactions and feelings as you can get swept up in your own ideas and projects. You want to be appreciated for your ability to respond quickly and to fix problems creatively. You need plenty of time to yourself - therefore your partner must respect your need for independence and originality.
THE END

I italicized the parts of that one that are dead on. Other parts are kinda true, but slightly hazy.
Sometimes its kind of scary what answering a few questions can show, generally of course, what kind of person you are.

Or is it just how you see yourself? Not as others see you?


Slightly adjusted quote of the day:
...faith is but a birthmark with which we are born, an impalpable umbilicus to time and place, which we rarely ponder to cut. Had your soul or mine cried its first in the Arab land, then a Muslim would you or I be.'

- the old Jew from In The Hand Of Dante by Nick Tosches

No comments: