Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Dialectic Eclectic......Diabetic?

I went to the doctor in November and had pretty high blood pressure. 150/91.

Yowza.

My doc said she would give me two months to see what I could do with my bp before she put me on meds. I missed my first appointment with her, but started a really good diet/exercise plan over the past four weeks (really just watching my calories, hitting the treadmill, and Wii Biggest Loser).

Went to see her recently, and in the past four weeks, I have dropped my weight by 22 pounds, and my bp went down to a 134/79.


So, yay! right?



Yeah, some bad with the good. We had some blood work done and it turns out I am also diabetic. (fasting glucose = 171 avg, Hemoglobin A1c 7.6%)

Not bad, no insulin shots or anything. At this point my doc thinks it will be manageable with a simple med (metformin, 1000mg Xrelease, once a day) and losing a lot of weight. So I'm on target to have lost 45.6 pounds by my birthday, May 7Th, officially dropping me to 300lbs. Then I hope to hit 275 by August-ish, 250 by Thanksgiving, and with loads and loads of luck, my target weight of 235 by my 31st birthday. (I haven't weighed that since 2000 I think)


Summer 99 with Shannon, quite possibly my lowest weight as an adult.

235 might be unreasonable. For now I am aiming high. 260 is really the BIG BIG goal. That is the level where my BMI officially drops from Obese to Overweight. That would be exciting. Anything after that is cake. Well, not cake. Cake has a lot of sugar...I digress.

Keep in mind I am taking the BMI with a grain of salt. It says 214 is right on the precipice of going from healthy weight to overweight for my height. I find that absurd. My lowest as an adult (over 18) was 230 in sophomore year. 235 is the best I could find as a target ideal weight:

Take 106, add 6lbs for every inch over 5' you are. Then if you are of larger frame (compare wrist size to other men) then add 10%. That would put me at 214+21=235.


As of now I am only supposed to check my glucose once a day. Morning fasting for the first week, random times of the day the second and third week. Then I go visit her to see how I am doing and start going to classes with a dietitian after that (23rd or 25th). Earliest class I could get into unfortunately, so I'm kind of chomping at the bit.

I'm excited because now it isn't just about losing weight to feel better, it is about living long and well.

Dave


ps So, maybe I should change the name of the blog from:

Sarcastic Dialectician For Hire

to:

Sarcastic Dialectic Diabetic For Hire?

No comments: