Sunday, March 01, 2009

Lapsed Catholic Guilt Engenders New Goal Schedule

Weighed in on Ash Wednesday, a six day weigh in period, and really REALLY wanted to be at 323 pounds. I did the calorie math and that is what my math said I should be at.

Lo and behold,

323 pounds, 1 pound ahead of schedule!

For my number dork-dom that is a big number again. 23 pounds lost, 23 pounds until 300!

So, for the beginning of Lent, as a lapsed Catholic, I still fell like I should take part in the sacrificial act of giving something up. My reasons for not wanting to give something up are many:

1) I've already given up a lot.
2) I still want to succeed on this diet, and doing this and dropping say, chocolate, could very well be my undoing.
3) As my mother instilled in us at a young age, maybe it isn't always about giving something up, but possibly taking something up. Taking on a good habit. She used to say that I shouldn't give anything up because instead of eating 6 things I would only eat 5 things. (That I would eat six things at a young age may even be a bit of a stretch...) So in that vein,

I will be moving up my 10% weight loss goal to Holy Thursday(Passover) instead of the end of April! (a loss of time of three weeks)

That will mean losing two pounds a week for the entire period of lent, so that on April 8th/9th I will be at 311 pounds. I again figure this is a doable goal. I moved my three pounds a week goal period of time up 50% (4weeks --> 6weeks), so this means I will be upping my two pounds a week goal period of time by only 33% (6weeks --> 8weeks) for this new goal. Not so bad when I look at the numbers like that!

Onward and Downward,

Dave

No comments: